Thursday, November 11, 2010

Chapter 3

After a few days, Mr. Carl Coleworth announced to Sir Henry that his nephew, Josiah, had returned and that the damaged cart was now again ready for service.

“Capital,” said Sir Henry. He summoned the groomsman to make ready his horse.

This time he was greeted by the sight of Josiah splitting logs.

“Mr. Coleworth, Sir Henry John Essex at your service.” He said joyfully as he dismounted.

“Of course, honored I’m sure,” came the stony reply. Sir Henry could not tell if he was being patronized or not. One could never be certain about intelligent tenants.

“I wonder if your Uncle Carl told you of our conversation during your absence.”

“As long as we’re getting straight to the point, Sir, I would like to thank you for loaning your very interesting books to me. It was very magnanimous.”

“You are welcome on one condition, that you invite me into your house.”

“If the mistress of said house doesn’t mind.”

“That being my condition too.”

Sir Henry wondered if this deference to womankind was indeed a portent of what happens when tenants become educated.

Josiah proceeded behind the small stone and beam cottage to find his wife in their kitchen garden. After a length of time that indicated that there were bumps in the conversation, he emerged as stony as before. “This way please.”

Inside the wooden door, Sir Henry’s eyes adjusted to the light limited to the one window whose wooden trap door lay open on this balmy day. Josiah pulled out the chair opposite and they both sat down.

“Cozy,” offered Sir Henry.

“So you are curious about the brains of lowly tenant cabbage farmers, Sir. I’ll tell you how I came to read your books. My father first wandered in your library as a child as he and Carl were sons of the previous gardener’s assistant. He picked up the Iliad and began our family habit of borrowing books, replacing them once read.”

“Do you discuss them with your family?” Henry wondered if discussions would lead to a desire to change their circumstances.

“Yes, we share with each other what is of interest in the books.”

“Are you content?”

“Yes, Sir. We are content.”

“Curious.”

“Why so?”

“Some believe that once a tenant has become educated that it will make him discontent with his circumstances and seek to better himself in other ways.”

“I would say that I should be very discontent if I did not have books to read. My mind would become restless.”

“That is exactly my feeling,” said Sir Henry.

“However, there is a problem.”

Sir Henry did not expect Josiah to mention a difficulty when he was a beneficiary of the situation.

“And what is that?”

“’With knowledge brings responsibility.’”

“Ah. You do not wish to upset the status quo, but fear it may be required of you?”

“Yes.”

“And what do you believe you may be responsible for?”

“Teaching other tenants and making books available to them as well.”

“Do you believe that a desire to be so engaged exists in other tenants?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Have you ever talked about it to anyone?”

“My friends and extended family are aware of our enjoyment of books, but have not expressed an interest in joining our activity. I have not asked them why not.”

Mrs. Coleworth and her daughter came into the house carrying various vegetables which they placed on the kitchen pantry.

“Sir Henry, I believe you’re acquainted with my wife, Susannah, and my daughter, Catherine? Albert is tending the cabbages.”

“I’m pleased to be more formally introduced,” he said with a bow towards each of them with was met with shallow curtsies.

“Would you care for some mead, Sir Henry?” Susannah offered.

“Splendid, Madam.”

Catherine went to the buttery to fetch the refreshment. When she returned Sir Henry said, “Your father has been telling me of the family practice of reading books from the estate library, Madam and Miss Catherine.” Before she could question his feelings about finding out their source, he continued towards Mr. Coleworth,

“As you know, it is not customary for tenants to be so occupied. Are you aware that there are some who would object if they knew?”

“It surely must be so or my father would not have originally introduced the habit of not talking to others about the estate library. Neither did he speak of his reading when selling our cabbages or in paying the rent. This was his main dealing with the aristocracy and those more closely connected to them.”

“Then why did you respond to my post?”

“Your post!” he chuckled a few moments before scratching his head. “I reckon one risk leads to another.”

They both raised their mead in pleasant silence as the ladies turned towards their vegetables. After downing the last of his glass, Sir Henry got up and said, “I’ve interrupted you too long. I’ll contact you again soon.”

“It was an honor, Sir Henry,” said Josiah as Sir Henry removed himself after bowing to all present.

Once outside he saw Albert coming into the yard. “Ah, Master Albert, coming in from the cabbages?” winked Sir Henry.

“Sir Henry, I presume?”

“Stanley! Good show. Goodbye for now.”

Enigmatic indeed, thought Sir Henry to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment