Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chapter 4

Sir Henry returned to the Coleworths a few days later. After an impressive and meaningful philosophical conversation with the whole family, Sir Henry spoke privately to Josiah and then proposed to Catherine. “First I have to summon my ancestors to ask their permission too.” Horrified, Sir Henry ran out the door decrying pagan upstarts. “I guess that’s off”, Catherine shrugged. “Maybe I should quit trying to shock people. Whose litmus test is superior, the one who wants a proper partner, or the one who wants one who will accept-me-as-I-am. Neither and both. I don’t deserve him and he doesn’t deserve me. She tearfully went to the chicken coop to console herself in their simplicity. To her surprise, Sir Henry found her there and said, “You were kidding weren’t you?” “Yes, but that doesn’t mean that talking to one’s ancestors is pagan.” “Maybe not. I think we should spend the rest of our lives talking about it.” Sir Henry took the bowl of chicken feed and made the outline of a five-pointed star on the ground, around which he enclosed a heart shape. As the chickens were eating it Catherine laughed but smeared the remains around with her foot. She crossed herself just in case. “We may end up corrupting each other,” he said. “But isn’t that better than being alone?” “I don’t know, but I can’t help it.” With that he took her in his arms and kissed her willing but trembling mouth.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment