Friday, September 11, 2009

Abortion and Foreign Policy

I've been avoiding the political scene until Super Tuesday. I am curious what America is thinking and wanting so I'm trying to view things from a distance as I'm in transition mode from being a passionately fundamentalist Republican conservative to I don't know what next. Maybe other conservatives are wondering as well, judging from the low turn-out of Republican votes. Both leading democratic candidates got more votes than the leading Republican one.

So in trying to be practical and realistic instead of idealistic, not that people who support Ron Paul aren't impacting future candidates and the political scene, as I think supporters for Ross Perot did, though I was a realist even then and voted for Bush instead, I have tried to form an opinion about the top three candidates, and don't know whether to seriously consider Ron Paul yet.

I'm afraid of Hillary Clinton and always have been. Her smile and her support for the marginalized scares me to death because she seems to have ulterior motives. That's the Jewish experientialist in me, not the Derridian don't be anti anything. So to Derridify myself I'll say, the marginalized she speaks of deserve attention from an honest, trustworthy person. To not marginalize untrustworthy people I'll say, I don't know her background situation, and if I'd been raised with her parents who I know nothing about, and her genes and her sphere of influence, I'd probably have turned out the same way, or at least had the same struggles but may have made different choices as free will always leaves options open even if we aren't aware or feel empowered enough. So I'll agree with Hillary that empowering is good, but there is just more to her than meets the eye and I can't ignore my gut instinct that the Presidency is not where that needs to be empowered.

John McCain has always confused me, but his confrontational stance to Vladimir Putin bothers me. My ignorant impression is that, though he's a moderate, he still marginalizes and uses dialectical opposition to achieve his goals, worthy though they may be.

The least marginalizing candidate is Barack Obama. He is very Derridian in how he seeks to work from within and find peace with all I can think of. He doesn't seem to be anti-Russian, Muslim, or Christian. That appeals to me. I find his immigration solution of building better fences along the Mexican border confusing though. It sounds anti-Mexican. To me that's a bandaid instead of a cure. The other inconsistency that is very important to me is his non anti-abortion stance. I don't say Pro Abortion because he wants to prevent teen pregnancy. However he says he trusts women to make that very serious decision. This is so contradictory to his saying that teen girls shouldn't have to inform their parents of their abortion because of the "trouble" that may cause. So he trusts teen women and not their adult mothers? His other policies, including promoting stem cell research are all about not letting anyone suffer. I have become sensitive to America's refusal to suffer natural consequences, including a pregnancy. He's totally American in that regard, avoid suffering at all costs, even the cost of an innocent baby. Too bad.

But the issue of the government not preventing women from killing their babies needs to be in the context of the government actively telling a soldier to shoot someone. So foreign policy seems to be one of the top considerations for me in this election instead of Abortion, sad to say. I still don't know who to vote for, but I'll be looking more into foreign policy as promoting peace instead of economic well-being this year.

As far as abortion goes, that issue is more about family dynamics, and we need the Church to inform us about that. I think next I'll write about my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment