Friday, September 11, 2009

Be Warmed and Filled

This conversation on NeoChalcedonean's blog and this post by Father Stephen quoting Alexei Khomiakov has lead me to think on what Christ meant when He said to the sheep and the goats, "I was thirsty and you gave me drink." I may have read this before, but I think He may be talking to the Apostles and their subsequent Bishops, putting Himself, in His humanity, in the place of the flock they are to feed with the real Eucharist. This also brings understanding to when He criticizes people who offer invisible blessing only when they say, "Be warmed and filled." The burden is not on every layperson to feed all people (social service), because the ultimate food is Christ's Body and Blood that holy people can subsist on exclusively, which is the goal of humanity, not to be satiated by materialistic consumerism. Yet laypeople are also included in the royal priesthood. Christ healed and fed people's physical bodies while at the same time forgiving their sins. We are to feed the poor, but within the context of the Orthodox Church, which I believe involves being a witness of where the real food is. I guess I want to make a distinction between a worldly expectation of social service and a more organic, familial, Christ-ordained community who dines in the house of their heavenly Father, and doesn't settle for less. "Blessed are the poor in spirit"; I think we have to realize that we in ourselves are poor in spirit and need to be filled before we take it upon ourselves to feed others. Sometimes we have to give ourselves permission to knock on the door and seek food and shelter and a spotless garment, which is in reality found in the physical Church on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment