Friday, September 11, 2009

In Memory of Mara

I have not seen my ex-Mother In Law in over 11 years. My children, Ben and Rachel, have not seen her in about 6 years, but yesterday their dad called to say that she had just died after a long illness. She was a very private woman, and the only Catholic in her household. When I knew her I was staunchly Protestant, but I played "Ave Maria" on her antique piano one time and opened my mind to it just a little. She went to Mass pretty often by herself and did not pressure her family to do likewise. She and her husband built a house from scratch in the country and restored antique oak furniture. I very much admired them for that. When her son and I had difficulties, I wanted her to be more active in helping me, but she did not see things the same way I did. Maybe she was right. However, I'm sadder than I expected at her death. Last night Ben chanted this prayer slower than he usually chants, in his lovely bass voice, for his departed Grandmother:

Chosen Intercessor and High Priest, Who hast laid down Thy soul for the salvation of the sinful world and hast given us authority to be children of God, and to dwell in the never-ending day of Thy Kingdom, grant forgiveness and eternal joy to Thy servant who has fallen asleep, for whom we cry to Thee in supplication. Jesus, All-merciful Judge, vouchsafe Thy servant Mara the sweetness of Paradise.

O holy Guardian Angel given by the Lord: Come pray for thy servant, whom thou didst accompany, preserve, and direct on all the paths of life, and cry with us to the All-compassionate Saviour:

Jesus, tear up the handwriting of the sins of Thy servant Mara.

Jesus, heal the wounds of her soul.

Jesus, grant that there not be bitter memories of her on earth.

Jesus, for the sake of this have mercy on those who were grieved and offended by her.

Jesus, cover her imperfections with the radiant garment of Thy redemption.

Jesus, gladden her by Thy loving-kindness.

Jesus, Ineffable, Great and Wondrous- reveal Thyself to her.

Jesus, All-merciful Judge, vouchsafe Thy servant Mara the sweetness of Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment