Friday, September 11, 2009

To Fight or not to Fight

I found myself relaxed (morally speaking) but emotional about the battle scenes in the new Prince Caspian movie and wondering why the "dialectical struggle" didn't bother me. I didn't feel a sense of contradiction about how I admired the courage on their faces before the conflicts. I think it's because I saw their stalwart facing of death as similar to facing getting out of bed some mornings. Whether to flee responsibility and work, or to muster myself for the "fatigue of the coming day" (from the Morning Prayers in the back of the Orthodox Study Bible). I liked the modeled bravery to face things frontally in this movie.

While on the subject of war, I just wanted to note that the previously referenced article, "Who Are We", gave the impression that the Civil War was the only option for Lincoln. I don't agree with the confidence of that statement. I've second guessed scenarios where the slavery issue could have been handled less impatiently, but not being a historian I wont confidently assert that I'm right. But I think it could have died out at a more natural, less casualty producing pace, not that the war put a stop to discrimination and prepared people for sudden freedom anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment