Friday, September 11, 2009

Handel's Messiah

I became acquainted with Handel's Messiah at a Christmas concert twenty something years ago. I think it was probably one of my first experiences of four part soloists, and it was a good one. The first solo tenor part, "Comfort Ye", helped me relax and listen attentively to the rest of the beautiful story. Some time after then I purchased my own copy of the complete work with all four parts and piano accompaniment, which was a prerequisite to attending a "Sing Along Messiah" presented at a local Baptist Church. That is when I got hooked. The alto part was many times out of range and too fast, but the parts I could participate in provided a wonderful experience of coordinated harmony with a whole "santuary" full of people, and with talented soloists and orchestra leading the way. After that I began to try to learn the music on piano at home where I could play a semblance of all the parts.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhN9LzQpeGg&feature=related]

Not only did I connect with the musical style, but the libretto, comprised solely of Scripture passages, Old and New Testament, provided a uniquely comprehensive picture of Christ, prophesied, born, suffering, rising, and magnificiently glorified. It's completeness was different than hymns of individual experience, aspects of theology, or snapshots of moments in His life. To listen, sing, and/or play the whole thing straight through provided a holistic experience that I'd not found elsewhere. I have many favorite parts, and parts I sometimes play in isolation, but at Christmastime at least, I try to listen to the whole thing either in concert or on CD or from my book at home.

Thus, after 20 years, the stage was set for what occurred while attending my first Orthodox service. At that time I had been suffering from a lingering cough and was worried about how my stifled noises may distract people. Around midpoint in the service, I don't remember exactly where as I wasn't familiar with the Liturgy at that time, the Western Rite choir in the loft behind us began singing "He Shall Feed His Flock Like a Shepherd". It was then, as I have related a few times, that my eyes with no conscious effort on my part, were inexplicably drawn to the icon of Christ to the right of the alter area. I looked in the dark portals of His eyes and He looked at me. I'd never experienced that before. Christ looked at me, gave me a heretofore unknown tangible sense of His presence, and took away my cough. I knew then that I was home.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZoqU_-J-UY&feature=related]

No comments:

Post a Comment