Friday, September 11, 2009

Texas Primary

I probably wouldn't go to the polls today, but Sunday night as we were eating our last meat meal at Chili's, a couple from the Bible Church we attended before finding Orthodoxy warmly reunited with us. I have a long history with them. Longer than I knew at first.

When I was in Jr. High, my family attended another Bible Church, and I barely remember a young police officer and his beautiful wife who was pregnant when we left that Church. (My dad picked up stakes and moved on from a number of churches, traumatically for me.) Later when I lived in my current town and my eldest was 5 and his sister was 2, I found a home in our local Bible Church, which they had also come to attend, and they remembered me from Jr. High. They were then homeschooling their 6 children, and were leaders in the church, he an elder and by then also a successful lawyer. They lived on a large piece of property where his father, a lawyer, had built houses for his kids in lovely wooded and pastured and fish-stocked ponded land with a common swimming pool. They hosted many church events, including the baptism of my son, and later the baptism of George's two eldest sons in that pool, the youngers weren't considered to have reached an accountable age yet. When my ex left, he set me up with a really nice lawyer (as he then had a policy of not representing church members) who protected, or I could say retrieved, but that's a long story, my interests very well. About that time, he also was elected our Republican State Representitive and began commuting to Austin during that season. After George and I were married and immediately sued by his ex, he agreed to represent us, which ended up being for the next 4 years. His respected reputation, keen insight into what she was about, and habit of over-preparing for cases, defended and supported our new family in invaluable and I believe eternal ways.

He's virtually been unchallenged since first elected, but this year there is a much stronger campaign against him, so I think I'll go out and pay him back for his kindness to me and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment